When people buy a pill for tinnitus, they expect it to cure them in no time. This is unrealistic. Dealing with this condition involves all aspects of your life. It is not like taking a magic drug and – presto! – you’re well.
If you are into the journey to muffle the noise in your ears, you have to follow these steps.
- Find out the cause. Mind you, you cannot do this alone. Determining the underlying condition that brings about tinnitus involves you and your specialist. Tinnitus is a symptom of several disorders like hearing loss, ear infection, Meniere’s disease, high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, head trauma, jaw misalignment, allergy, and tumor.
- Take the right remedy. The cure depends on the cause. For instance, if the culprit is ear infection, your doctor could prescribe an antibiotic to treat it, providing it is of bacterial origin. Some causes do not have quick treatments. Others cannot be treated at all. However, the right remedy for many cases is not a pill but other methods like therapies, counseling, and relaxation. Remember that in most cases the treatment process may take a long time. It is not an overnight thing.
- Have a stress free life. People who are over stressed tend to have worse bouts of tinnitus. If you are fatigued, angry, exhausted, and worried; your tinnitus would sound louder. This is why people are trained to relax to calm the nerves. Relaxation techniques include Yoga and meditation. Other simple things to do include avoidance of too much work and managing your emotions. Have plenty of rest.
- Improve your immunity. A balanced diet helps you build a good immune system; and a good immune system raises your defenses against maladies like constant ringing in ears. When your defenses are up, you tend to have better coping mechanism. While food and exercise are two major ways of getting the right immunity, you may rely on supplements and natural homeopathic alternatives.
- Sleep better. People who hear buzzing in ears complain that they have trouble sleeping. Relaxation helps patients sleep well. But those who cannot tune out tinnitus at night may rely on masking devices. While your physician may order a fitting masking device for you to wear, you may play radio static, or a masking CD at night to temporarily muffle constant ringing in ears.